Wednesdays are always busy, but in a good way. I always get to spend time with people and causes I care about, and I could stay busy that way for the rest of my life and be content.
I started the day with a bowl of Bob’s Red Mill Muesli topped with honey and some fresh blueberries. Part of being busy on Wednesdays is finding a way to eat healthy on the go, so lunch was an Asian Sesame Chicken Salad from Panera with reduced sugar Asian vinaigrette, I asked for a whole grain baguette but they gave me a regular one so…just salad for me (probably better anyway). It was good fuel for my run although the weather was dreary and made it a daunting 3 miles. My post workout snack was an apple with almond butter, a forever favorite.
Today at Campus Kitchen we made probably the most beautiful meal we’ve ever made: some lovely quiche with broccoli, tomatoes and spinach. Everyone wanted to take one home!
Dinner was a less than satisfying plain turkey burger and a green juice with far too much kale, but then again I was going to be disappointed with just about anything but a meal from Bobby Flay himself after our perfect quiches.
So, I decided to list some of my faves!
If I had to list my top 10 favorite healthy snacks they would be:
1. Apple with almond butter
2. Kale chips (try Rhythm Superfoods Mango Habanero!)
3. Almonds, dried cherries, and dark chocolate chips (kinda like homemade trail mix for those with a sweet tooth)
4. Greek yogurt with granola and fresh fruit
5. Smoothie! A great way to combine tons of different health foods into one delicious cup (I like chia seeds)
6. Dates cut in half with a little bit of almond butter (also great for a sweet tooth plus packed with fiber!)
7. Basically any fruit, any time of the day. Switch it up, try new ones! I didn’t start eating pears until recently and boy was I missing out. Also, try freezing grapes; it makes them taste like candy!
8. Spirulina chips (these can be hard to find except at super earthy organicy stores but if you find them they are amazing!)
9. Dark chocolate-don’t fight it, just don’t overindulge
10. Boars Head Honey Maple Turkey (this is not your average lunchmeat, and it tastes great by itself for a protein packed snack!)
So there you have it, snack away all my hungry girls! (And guys) I’m sorry to report such a routine day, but tomorrow is going to be action-packed. And by that I mean I have some serious work to do training-wise and lots of praying to do for my daddy as he deals with some serious health issues. In case you thought I was just a nutcase, I promise that was the fuel to my “research all the things” craze for the past few days. I believe in nutrition as alternative (and when done correctly-preventative) medicine, and I can only hope that my efforts benefit him in this hard time.